Thursday, September 26, 2013

New Town, New School, New Family... New Everything

So as it turns out… my host family really is perfect! I am so lucky to have them. We didn't end up having a barbecue when we got here because it was raining. But it was still great. I have a huge room, my own bathroom, and my own kitchen (although I never use it). Where I’m staying was supposed to be a guest room but they actually never got around to furnishing it. And now it’s my room. And we are furnishing it bit by bit. I got my bed last week (since I got here I have just been sleeping in my little sisters room) so that is pretty exciting. And they are going to get new decorations and everything for me for my room!
                And now… school. Oh goodness. It is pretty stressful because I don’t know what is going on or what anybody is saying. Luckily I have a host sister who is one year younger than me so for the first week I just followed her around to her classes. She has helped me get registered and get a schedule and everything. I have most of my classes with her (they put me in the 11th grade with her) but some of them I have by myself. So in Germany, if a teacher is sick or can’t teach for whatever reason, they don’t get a substitute. They just cancel class. So when you get to school you immediately have to check the list to see if you don’t have to go to some of your classes that day. It is really pretty nice and so far it has happened more than would be expected. Some days I only have like 2 classes. School starts at 7:45 and can go as late as 3:50 so that isn't as great when I have a full schedule because then it is really long. Oh and also there are free periods in your schedule. I have like maybe 4 or 5 during the week. If it is at the beginning of school then you can go to school late. Or if not you can just hang around the school. Or whatever. No one cares what you do. Last Friday I didn't have to go to school until like 11:30 and then I only had one class then I went home. It was absolutely wonderful.  A lot of times in class I can’t understand what is going on so I do one of two things: 1) If the class is just discussing something, I look at the worksheets and try to translate the words. Or 2) If there are notes on the board, I translate those. So basically I use my little German to English dictionary A LOT. Sometimes people try to translate for me but it is really hard for them to keep up with the work and translate at the same time. So I feel really bad when they do that and I just try to convince them to let me just translate. And usually it works pretty well. It is especially hard in my religion class because the words that they use aren't common words so I don’t know hardly any of them. Oh and we are reading “Kabale und Liebe” (it’s like an old famous play if you didn't know) in my German class, and that is hard because all the words are old German.  It’s kind of like reading Shakespeare in English.  I just end up going home and reading it in English off of the internet. Then I translate the notes on the board in class.
                P.I. told us that we should have at least one extracurricular activity per week, but I have no idea what to do. I went with Laurina to her handball practice on Wednesday and that was pretty fun.  I had never played handball before, so that was kind of interesting. But I learned a lot and had fun with the other girls. I think I’m going to keep doing that with her every week. Obviously I can’t play the games with her or anything but I can keep going to practices.  Last week I went to the town hall in Engelskirchen and registered as living there. So now (I think) I am an official citizen. While I was there they gave me a couple different coupons in the town. One of them is for free tennis lessons for like 3 times or something. Maybe I’ll try that. Who knows. Most days I come home and don’t really do anything. I really need to find stuff to do because I don’t want to get homesick or anything. Oh, and I’ve been trying to teach myself the piano too because I have a piano in my room. So far I can play Mary Had a Little Lamb. And Twinkle Twinkle Little Star. I’m obviously fantastic. I looked into taking piano lessons, except they cost 51 euros per month! So that’s out of the question. It’s hard because I am always so exhausted by the time school is over. I am constantly trying to translate things in my head and I have so much new information coming in every day, so it is really tiring. For now I think I will just stick with handball.
                So last week I went to church for the first time. I was so so happy! I haven’t gone since August 4th and it has been really hard for me to not have it. My church is in Köln, which is like an hour away from my house in Engelskirchen. My parents contacted the bishop and he was able to refer us to someone who could take me to church with him.  So yeah he picked me up early Sunday morning and took me with him. We got there a little bit early because he is the organist and he had to practice. In the meantime I sat and listened to the choir sing. There were four missionaries in the choir and afterwards they all came up to talk to me. There is elder missionaries and sister missionaries. It turns out that one of the sister missionaries is from Tremonton! The other is from Canada. One of the elder missionaries is from Las Vegas, but the other one is from a town near Provo! Then get this, later two other guys came up and started talking to me in English. As it turns out, one of them is from Burley, Idaho and the other is from Sandy, Utah. It is crazy how small this world really is.  I talked to the sister missionaries and they said that they would love it if I would go teaching with them sometime! I guess there is an investigator that is my age and they would like me to come help teach her. I would absolutely love that! I sure hope it works out and I can go with them. Sadly I would have to go all the way into Köln, but luckily my school is going to give me a school bus pass thing. It basically lets me ride any bus, train, or U-bahn within a certain radius for free. Any time. And the radius is big. It reaches at least to Köln and I think Bonn too. So that is wonderful and then I won’t have to pay every time. Anyway, church was wonderful. There is only one other Young Woman so that is interesting. But of course still really good. Then after church they had a baptism. It was a lot different than in Utah. Practically the entire ward stayed for the baptism, which started an hour after church ended. It was really cool because I can tell the whole ward is really close. They just stay and talk to each other for a long time. Anyway, it was wonderful. And they have a seminary class too! We meet every morning over Skype from 6-6:45 (it is super early for me), and then on Fridays we meet at the church in Köln.  So that is wonderful.  Oh and the first day that I went to the church (the 15th), I found out that they went to the temple in Frankfurt as a ward the day before! So I was really kind of bummed that I missed out on that by just one day but oh well life goes on. I talked to another sister in the ward and she said that she and her husband try to go at least once a month and that I might be able to go with them sometime! So hopefully I’ll be able to go soon.
                My German has improved SO MUCH since I’ve been with my host family! Oh my goodness I can’t believe how much I’ve learned. I’m pretty sure that it is more than I ever learned in school. I’m so glad it’s coming fast, but I still have a long way to go. I can’t understand what people are saying unless they say it really slowly and sometimes I still can’t understand then. In my host family we always talk in German unless I absolutely can’t understand, then my host mom translates. So that really helps. I feel like some days I can understand so much more than other days. Some days I feel like I don’t know any German at all, but then other days I can tell how much I’m improving.

                Okay I’m sorry this was really rambling but I've been trying to write this for like over a week, and I never have the patience to finish it. So the timing might be wrong, but you get the idea. I’ll try to post more often from now on.

1 comment: